Why Would I Use Beets When I Can Use Chemicals?

Okay, okay. Here's what I baked up for today. You'll just have to deal with all the baking escapades being out of chronological order. Actually, I am probably the only freak who has issues with the chronological order thing.

A couple of my coworkers were a little shocked that I used food coloring instead of something natural like beets, but I think that when you are already using white sugar (a chemical, bascially) and cake flour (absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever) then who cares if a whole bottle of red food coloring went into the cake! You're still gonna eat it! And they did!

October 12, 2005
MHC’s Feng Shui Consult
There’s No Funk In My Shui
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Wow, I’ve already eaten like four of those cupcakes (one frosted) and they are mighty tasty. They are basically a light chocolate cupcake with a lot of red food coloring. Good stuff. When I brush my teeth after eating one, my toothbrush is pink. Good stuff.

The mix was really easy and pretty quick to make. I used one tbsp regular cocoa and one even bigger tbsp special dark cocoa…maybe that’s why the cupcakes came out really dark—more maroon-ish. Also, I didn’t realize that the recipe called for two little bottles of red food coloring—dude! So I added to the one red bottle some of the red food paste/gel stuff that Cookie gave me. Thick stuff. A little goes a long way. I didn’t use much of it, but like I said, the cakes came out a dark red/maroon color. Very pretty. The texture reminds me a lot of a cake mix…lots of big air holes in the cakes. Relatively speaking. We aren’t talking huge craters or anything, but you can tell where the big air pockets were.

I only used 1 cup of sugar for the frosting (instead of the 3 cups called for) and it is just fine. Just a little sweet, but not out of control. Creamy, tangy, perfect. That rocks. I wonder if cream cheese frosting freezes well? I also froze the chestnut whipped cream…wonder if that was a good idea. Huh.

Crap. I didn’t take any pictures of the cakes. Maybe I’ll remember my camera later…

You know what? I frosted those suckers and refrigerated them for a couple of hours and when I pulled them out to come up to room temperature, the frosting looked all satiny and lovely. I got such a kick out of just looking at how pretty they were. I swear it was like they had this iridescent glow and it wasn’t because they were from a nuclear power plant. That's good times.

Comments

  1. Jen you are getting comment spam! Those bastards.
    I love your blog and I love your cake!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts