I Am But A Small Peon

I am enjoying this sunny (yet cold) beautiful Saturday afternoon at my favorite coffee shop, Palio, in the heart of my favorite Portland neighborhood, Ladd's Addition. I began my lovely Saturday by bellydancing and then I walked up here, got a cup of my favorite tea (earl grey) and a piece of tasty cake, the Tiramisu Torte, and opened up my email.

Dude. Zetta introduces me to Flickr's Cake Fun photo pool, which is filled with marvelously beautiful yummy photos of really professional looking baked goods, and I think to myself, "I am but a small peon in the world of baking and blogging." I check out the blog of one of the contributors, Chockylit, and not only are her cupcakes AMAZING, her photos perfect, but her writing style is like most of these blogging bakers: nice, clean, serious. I, on the other hand, am crude, raunchy, and barely ever 100% serious. While these bakers are like beautiful white swans I am like the cute but kitschy marshmallow peep that stopped off at the corner bar at 6:30 am for two shots of stoli and a cigarette. "Not baked goods Professor; baked bads."

Which I am kinda proud of. The fancy fancy pro photos and piped icings with fondant decorations are gorgeous, no arguing there, but I like my rustic, comical, frosted with the back of a spoon cakes and my stupid, 13-year-old-boy humor.

I DO admit that I feel a tad green that my baked goods are a lot more amateur and frumpy than these on Cake Fun, and maybe that's why I am sitting here on a lovely sunny day trying to defend myself and my cakes. But really, I am more self-confident and self-assured about my baking abilities than not, and I like being the peep rather than the swan.

And, when it comes down to it, the people I love are the people I bake for, and you kids enjoy my baking, and that's all that matters.

As for my stupid humor, well, I can't help but be who I am. Love me for my cakes, not for who I am!

Palio Dessert and Espresso House
1996 SE Ladd Ave
Portland OR 97214
503 232 9412

Comments

Popular Posts