ECL Skips the Dough

apple crisp

Apple crisp is good. There's no pie dough to assemble, refrigerate, roll, refrigerate, look at, refrigerate, put together, refrigerate, bake, and etc.

I used Pink Lady apples which were getting a little mealy. I was worried they would mush out and be undesirable in the pie. But I worried for naught. They were tasty and not mushy. I left the skins on them, only because I didn't feel like peeling.

apples, macerating

I had some cinnamon issues. My roommate used it all up last week when she made an appley thingy and no one bought any more. I did find some cinnamon-sugar mix that I put together 3 years ago during a cinnamon toast craze. I used it, knowing I was adding even more sugar to the party. To compensate, I added a ton of cloves.

With the crumbly crispy crust, the recipe called for some toasted walnut halves, but I didn't have those. I did find in my freezer some leftover toasted walnut-graham cracker crust that I assume I made for a cheesecake...that's got nuts in it! I only needed 50 grams of nut, but there was maybe 65 grams in the tub, so I decided to dump it all in.

toasted walnut graham cracker crust

Since there was graham cracker in the nut stuff, I decided I didn't really need the flour the recipe called for. So, in place of the flour, I added an equal amount of finely ground almonds.

At this point of serious departure from the recipe I wondered why I was still bothering to make sure I had exactly 14 grams of butter for the topping, but I guess old habits die hard.

So how was the crazy made-up cripsy cumbly crisp?

Cracklin' good, Gromit!

apple crisp with ice cream!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts