The Baking Bible: Molasses Crumb Cakelets

These were a huge hit at our house. Mark has declared them one of his favorite things I've baked from the book. Eliot tries to shove an entire cakelet in his little toddler mouth if we don't divvy it up for him. He asks for them all the time. I am enjoying them for many reasons: they were a snap to make, and just as easy to eat. In fact, maybe a bit too easy to eat. We are going through them pretty fast.


At first I railed against their tiny mini muffin size, as I don't have mini muffin pans, and didn't forsee a need to ever use a mini muffin pan again. Then I remembered I have a toddler, and mini muffin sized anything is the perfect size for a toddler. So I changed my mind. The recipe calls for four 12 cup mini muffin tins, but I decided to buy two 24 cup tins, and bonus, they were non-stick. This turned out to be really important since I discovered I am out of baking spray with flour, and if these weren't non stick pans I am pretty sure just spray would have caused all of my muffins to have stuck. Luckily, they all turned out of the pans beautifully.


The recipe also called for Grandma's light molasses, but I could only find it in huge jars. I was against buying a huge jar of molasses when at home I had a moderate sized jar of what I thought was dark molasses. It turns out what I have is "full flavor" molasses, whatever that means, but it turned out delicious cakes so I will continue to keep using it.

This is what Rose calls a "quick and easy" cake, and it truly is. There's no butter or eggs in the recipe, so there's nothing you need to wait to warm up to room temperature. With possibly the exception of the molasses, everything you need you already have. The batter came together in a couple of minutes. Pouring the batter into the mini muffin tins, and making sure each cavity got precisely 17 grams of batter, took the longest time. But then baking the cakes took ten minutes and not long after that we were eating the cakes. So, that extra break to precisely fill the pans was, in the end, worth it.


Super moist, incredibly flavorful, the Molasses Crumb Cakelets are a winner. I suspect I'll be making these often.  

Comments

  1. Great photo with the blue background! I think you hit upon a key thing with these, namely non stick pans. The flour spray really gummed them up and made them too moist in the mini pans. This non stick pan would be great for making those baked quiches for kids that are all over the net. Great....another pan to add to the collection in my every bursting cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cakelets look fabulous all lined up on the blue :) We don't have flour spray in Australia so I just use ordinary cooking spray. I'm sure you will be coming with lots of things for your toddler with your new pans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must like Molasses a lot! :) I use the rabbit brand too..but I didn't like it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Non stick was a definite bonus with these. I'm glad you liked these. I don't think molasses is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought myself a mini-muffin pan after I made these cakelets. Glad to know I wasn't the only cook without one of these pans. Your cakes look delightful! Isn't it good when the whole family enjoys what you've just made?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photo! The blue looks really great under the cakes. I'm happy to see you liked these little treasures. I liked them too after a little while. Isn't it fun when the children in our lives love the food we prepare for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT picture! I'm so glad you liked them, I did too!! So easy, so delicious. Glad your little one likes them too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning picture! They look perfect. I did spray them and too much caused moist
    ness and oily business around tops.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts