The Baking Bible: Lemon Almond Cheesecake


Sadly all I have are some shoddy phone pictures of this wonderful cheesecake. As Marie pointed out in her post, it is some sort of baking magic that makes a cheesecake with a pound of cream cheese and over a pound of sour cream have a feathery light texture.

The cake starts out with making a thin biscuit cake for the bottom of the cheesecake. The recipe for the biscuit is double what you need for this cake so I cut the recipe in half. By the way, all told this cheesecake requires up to THREE DOZEN EGG YOLKS. SERIOUSLY.

After the cake is cooled and fitted into the bottom of the springform pan, the cake is made. Both the biscuit base and the cheesecake have ground toasted almonds as part of the batter. In addition, the cheesecake consists of lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract, lemon oil, and many egg yolks. Something about the ground almonds is what apparently makes the cheesecake that bit of fluffy. The texture is quite lovely.       


After the cheesecake bakes and cools for an hour in the oven and two hours on the counter and overnight in the refrigerator, you are supposed to make some lemon curd to top the cheesecake. I had had enough of the egg separating and yolk using and egg white storing so I cheated and bought a jar of lemon curd. I just frosted the top of the cake with the curd and that was that. Time to eat.


A wonderful cheesecake. If I ever have a glut of egg yolks I'll know exactly how I'll use them!

Comments

  1. Beautiful ohotis. So glad you liked the cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered about using store bought lemon curd! That would really make this easy peasy with Lady Finger base. Not sure why I only needed nine yolks for the cheese cake and a couple for the lemon curd. Mine is all gone and seeing your lovely cheesecake makes me wish I hadn't given the majority of it away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks fantastic! the reason i added the almonds was for the texture. that's what gives the extra aeration--all those tiny sharp little edges. the almonds really don't add much flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting, Rose. I never even thought of them as an element beyond the crunch.

      Delete
  4. The cheesecake looks pretty delicious in those photos anyway. Shortcuts are a good idea with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The amount of egg yolks was completely amazing, but somehow we never tasted them, except for the richness. Overall, the cheesecake was delicious, but only in small amounts. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Lemon Almond Cheesecake is looking very delicious. I wish I could eat it. We are going to host a DIY birthday bash for our daughter and planning to book Seattle Venues for this party. Will definitely try this cake for the party.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts